Friday, May 21, 2010

i'll walk a mile in your shoes.

I admit it. When I was growing up, I always wanted to be the teacher and play school. Recently, I went into my friend's elementary school where she teaches and I felt like a kid in a toy store! The little chairs and desks, the hallways lined with kid-friendly bulletin boards decorated with book reports and artwork had me ooohing and aaahing. 


I also loved playing with dolls and "mothered" the little kids on my block.


So, I quite effortlessly moved into being mother and teacher in my home. Don't get me wrong. I dealt with resentment and selfishness with the best of them being in such demand 24/7 but everybody has their growing pains.


You may not like being a mom. And God knows you don't have one ounce of teacher desire in you. I know about moms who feel this way, but I am not one of them.


I would like to give you an opportunity to comment on this if you're reading today and thinking, "Yup. That's me alright." You may comment anonymously. And please, certainly tell us how you made it through (if you did) and it will be a great encouragement to other moms. I am sure there's a ton of guilt for a mom who isn't actually thrilled with mothering (or the thought of homeschooling), especially if you are in an environment where it is taught or modeled (ie; church,   your best friend or sister-in-law). I would imagine it's kind of a secret struggle. And with your permission,  I will include your comments in my book, Mom Stuff, in a chapter devoted to this topic.


I know what it's like to not have everything run smoothly in particular areas of my life. Often, with good intentions, those of us who have made our Christian faith a priority, can apply Biblical principles (okay, pat answers) so quickly and not take the time to understand someone's need of patience and encouragement. The saying, "walk a mile in my shoes" applies here.


And in a few days I will offer some of my own thoughts.

No comments: