Tuesday, March 09, 2010

prefect match.

It's natural for us to look around and see what others have or how others are "doing life". We may have moved past wishing we could have a new van complete with a DVD player and built-in car seats or the latest diaper bag. Yet, we may still have a tendency to compare our family with other families. While it's valuable for us to learn from each other, (what works; what doesn't), if we aren't careful we may try to emulate something we are not. 

Let's get one thing out of the way: you are the perfect mom for your child. I am not saying you are perfect. I'm saying that your child was given to you and it's a perfect fit. We live in a world that easily provides an abundance of opportunities for our children to grow and learn. But know this: God has seen to it that you are your child's best guidance counselor. Not that you cannot learn from others, but God will give you wisdom for your child. I have found this to come quite naturally without reading how-to books. 

Back in the day, it was quite a natural thing for a dad to mentor his children in his trade and a mom mentored her children in the ways of managing a home. While we live in a different time, we can still feel comfortable with the way we relate to our children according to our lifestyle and not be apologetic for it. They are not missing out. They are where they should be and who they should be with.

How can I be so sure? Because "the fruit of the womb is His reward". If God gives life and gives us a child, don't you think He knows what He is doing? I do.

We used to have a dairy farm which required harvesting hay. While other families were perhaps going to the beach or on a drive, my family was in the hay field. I made sure that we had our family outings and vacations, but the work ethic that my kids learned in those days is invaluable. They didn't always want to work in the hot sun or a stuffy, hot hay loft. Yet much was learned out of necessity in the days of their youth, helping to form who they are today as adults.

You may not live in a rural area. You may live in a metropolitan area or a third world country. It doesn't matter. You are who you are and you are the perfect match for you kids!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy, thanks for letting me know about your blog. I'll stay tuned :)

brietta said...

This was perfect for me today. I was feeling like my kids are maybe missing out on certain things they "need" (specifically, wishing Daniel's "trade" was something that more easily involved them and could teach them how to apply themselves in good, physical, hard work, believe it or not!). Thank you for the reminder that Almighty God knows what He's doing. Our kids are right where they belong, and HE is what they need.

I'm excited about this blog and have now added it to my google reader!

Kathleen Moulton said...

Thank-you both for your comments! And welcome to "Mom Stuff"!