Tuesday, April 27, 2010

teach your children well.

I didn't grow up in a home where we attended church. There was a brief time when my father took us when I was little. I remember one night when he read us a Bible story. It must have been very important to me because I never forgot it.


The Bible story? No. My father reading to me.


I think our kids are wired for that closeness of mother and/or father. The culture we live in can depict otherwise. Even though family is still valued, it's taken some major blows, too, in defining what family is. Whole generations have left much up to the "professionals" and have abdicated not only their authority, but somehow have come to believe that they don't have what it takes to be their child's best influence.


Don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting that parents can't use some help. Yet, we should be careful how far we let "it takes a community to raise a child" mindset to influence us. 


The simpleness of a parent taking the time to read to a child makes all the difference. For me, it wasn't regularly or consistent. Yet, that one or two times my father read to us and how it made me feel then and how it makes me feel today makes me take the time with my 8 year old. 


Don't underestimate your God-given authority, influence, and wisdom for your own child. Be teachable and learn from others but the buck stops with you! 

No comments: