Thursday, April 29, 2010

changes.

I remember the days of my little family at home all cozy and tucked in our little house. I never tired of the continual demand placed upon me. It was what I was made for and it was a perfect fit. It warms my heart to think of the simplicity of those days. Bundled up, rosy cheek faces, excited with stories of their winter adventure outside, coming in for hot chocolate and a spritz of whipped cream. Or every night baths after summer hikes in a nearby field, soaking off the muddy feet and hands that held slippery frogs. But they are all but gone. 

Change. Transition. We all face it at some point in our lives.

It wasn't fun to face the changes. It wasn't easy making the transition. Partly because we have to come face to face with some things in order to adjust. One thing I had to come to terms with was letting go. Not just my kids but my lifestyle. It felt safe. 

Family is good. It's God's design and it is meant to be wonderful. Enjoy every minute without reserve! Yet, I realized that much of my contentment came with this lifestyle and when it changed, it revealed where my contentment came from. Not such a bad thing but at the end of the day, our contentment must come in God no matter what the circumstances are. Didn't I dedicate my child to the Lord to do as He wishes? My Christian faith values this. And so, while a mom and dad are the best guidance counselors, there comes a time when our kids embark upon a journey that is their own. Mom's position changes. And so it should.

I dare not cling to them. I cannot interfere with what God's will is for their life. I do not advise as to make my life better.  I release them and entrust them to God's guidance.

To everything, there is a season. And when one season ends, another begins!

No comments: