Thursday, April 22, 2010

still on the vine.

Our kids aren't perfect. Sometimes, I think we expect them to be. Especially those of us who are followers of Christ and the Bible is our guide. We have an understanding of how to raise our children since the scripture has much to say about parenting.

Yet, I think we can look for results too soon. There's nothing more wonderful than to have our homes working like a well-oiled machine, with everyone doing what they are supposed to be doing. Input - output. Chores done, schoolwork done, bed made, teeth brushed... until a monkey wrench is thrown in the whole production with a chore done poorly, cheating in schoolwork, a messy bedroom, and teeth forgotten for about 3 days. 

Now we know that such things will happen but yet we react very differently, don't we! I wish I had a nickel for everytime I've said, "How many times have I told you...." I figured with all my instructing that certainly it would "stick" and because we are a Christian family, child "B" would certainly get that all that I have taught him should be carried out quickly and efficiently!

Hmm. Are we trying to have them take ownership of their heart apart from the Lord? How can a 6 year old care about responsibility the way a 17 year old? Or a 50 year old?

In other words, are we looking for the "fruit" of our investment too soon?

Think of how patient God is with us. When I look back and think about some of the doozies of choices I've made, I can't believe that God didn't ditch me. But that's not how God is. That's how we are. One, two, three strikes and you're out!

Somewhere along the line I readjusted myself. Because I found that a tender heart toward my children (and everyone else in the world) is the way to go. Isn't God's heart tender? 

As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those that fear Him. - Psalm 103:13

Our hearts should always reflect the Lord's heart toward humanity. If you are true to your faith, you will see that this is at the core of who we are. If we want others to know of the wonderful benefits of knowing God, we must be expressions of that to our children and to the world.


And so, compassion, patience, mercy... will be developed within your own heart as you learn right along with your kids. If you let it.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes!!!
I like this "chapter!"
Michele L.