Monday, June 07, 2010

time passages.

Today I walked down to the river frontage on our property with my 8 1/2 year old. It was a misty rain and in the 60's. I carried a block of wood and his fishing pole. He carried his BB gun and some kindling.


We spent a good 45 minutes nurturing the camp-fire trying to get it going. It finally took off. He cast his pole a few times alternately with hunting for frogs. He popped one with his BB gun and brought it to the fire. He cooked it and handed me a frog leg and he took one. Yeah, I had a taste! (I prefer it breaded and deep fried).


It was worth crossing the wet spot in ankle deep water and getting the bottom of my jeans sopping wet.


It was worth the mud oozing into my clogs and between my toes.


It was worth the smoke stinging my eyes as I blew on the barely-there flames and my hair smelling like smoke.


It was worth tasting a bit of frog leg even though it was ... yuck.


Because he is worth it.


Lots of busyness all around us, isn't there? But how wonderful when those moments come along that shuts out the whole world.


Hope you find that kind of time this week. It's the best.

No comments: